Please use this page as a resource for all updates regarding the coronavirus and protocols and precautions that O'Hara is taking. Below you will see our emails that have been sent regarding the pandemic and they will continue to be updated. You will also see information about the day to day procedures with virtual learning at Cardinal O'Hara. Please be assured the safety of our students and overall community is always our first priority.
Communication to Parents and Students:
March 24, 2020 Message From OCE- https://conta.cc/2vKJHkw
March 18, 2020 Message From Mr. DeFruscio- https://conta.cc/391DXR9
March 16, 2020 Virtual Learning Instruction Procedures- https://conta.cc/2WknJzI
Archdiocesan Coronavirus COVID-19 Information Page-
From Mr. DeFruscio and Mrs. Vice:
Dear Parents and Students,
As you know, Cardinal O'Hara will begin virtual learning days in response to the COVID-19 outbreak on Tuesday, March 17th. We are blessed that we made the decision to support Lion learning with MacBook Airs, making this transition much easier for our faculty and student body.
Many of you may have seen the word "Coronacation" floating on the internet. Students are to be reminded that the next two weeks are not a vacation, but an opportunity to continue their education. The following steps are therefore critical to our goal of maintaining our school year schedule:
- LOGGING ATTENDANCE: All students must check their school email each day by 9:00 am. Students will be required to log their attendance daily via a unique Google form found in their school email. Students will be marked absent in Powerschool automatically. This will be updated to Present after the forms are collected by our Attendance Office. Any student who does not log their daily attendance by 9:00 am will receive an unexcused absence for each day they do not complete the form.
- Parents should follow regular absence procedures if your student will not be working for the day. Please call 610.544.3800 and leave a message on the attendance line with the reason for your student's absence. Absence lists will be sent to our faculty each day.
- ASSIGNMENTS: All teachers will email their classes by 9:00 am, Tuesday, 3/17 with specific instructions on how students should access their instruction and submit assignments. In most cases, the Learning Management System (LMS) will be Google Classroom; however, there will be exceptions such as EdModo or sharing directly through school email accounts. Teachers will also post this information in PowerSchool.Teachers will post due dates for each assignment. Students who do not submit by the due date are subject to lateness penalties. Quarter 3 ends on Friday, March 27th.
- INSTRUCTION: Teachers will post if they will be holding a "live class" at a specific time during the school day. Students are expected to virtually attend these sessions or watch the recordings as instructed by the teacher.
- COMMUNICATION: Students should plan to check their school email multiple times throughout the day. Teachers will be available to answer questions and should be contacted via school email.
- GUIDANCE AVAILABILITY: Guidance staff is available to you and your child during the Flexible Instruction Days. Both Mrs. Graney and Mrs. Tickman will have a dedicated window of time during the academic day where they will be consistently available by e-mail and/or virtual meetings to address concerns.
- Mrs. Tickman will be available Monday - Friday between 8:00 am - 12:00 pm.
- Mrs. Graney, Director of Guidance, will be available Monday - Friday between 11:00 am - 3:00 pm.
- WITH TECHNOLOGY COMES GREAT RESPONSIBILITY: Students should be reminded that websites, especially Google Classroom and Google Suite tools, log user info and track time spent - now is the time to shine with their diligence!
Please understand these are the last two weeks of Quarter 3, and that all assignments MUST be completed by the due dates posted by teachers. We appreciate the encouragement of parents to ensure that assignments are completed daily.
Students should be reminded that all school rules pertaining to Responsible Use and Academic Integrity remain in full effect.
We will keep you informed if there are any new developments.
God Bless each and every one of us!
Mr. Jay DeFruscio
Mrs. Eileen Vice