Web Page / Show Assignments & Announcements
Cardinal O’hara High School
Course Title: ELA II
Teacher: Mr. Whelan
Textbooks: Prentice Hall Literature Grade 10
Vocabulary Workshop Level F
Sadlier- Oxford Grammar for Writing
Common Core State Standards for the Study of English Language Arts Supported through Genre Literature and Various Informational Text
A. To gain a better understanding of literary works across various cultures and genres.
B. To analyze and paraphrase literary works.
C. To enhance the students Vocabulary level in preparation for the PSAT and SAT.
D. To coach students into appreciating classic literary works.
E. To educate students in the importance of literary works throughout the course of history.
F. To comprehend and properly use grammar.
Quarter grades will be based on a straight point system, consisting of points earned from the evaluation tools listed below.
Tests will consist of multiple choice, matching, short answer, and essay questions.
Quizzes will consist of multiple choice, matching, short answer, and essay questions.
Homework will generally be given about two times a week. Homework is due the day after it is assigned, unless specified otherwise.
D. Writing Assignments/Projects:
Larger writing assignments will be assigned at least once a quarter and will count as a test grade.
If a student is absent the day of a test or quiz it is his/her responsibility to schedule a time, with in the week, to make up that test or quiz THE DAYthey return to school. If a student is absent the day a homework is given it is his/her responsibility to find out what homework they missed and make up that homework the day after they return to school. If the student fails to do so, they will receive a zero for the homework grade.
*I will NOT approach students about ANY make up work. It is their responsibility to come to me.
B. Class Regulations:
1. The punishment for breaking any classroom regulation will be a demerit or a personal detention.
2. All rules and regulations in the Cardinal O’Hara Handbook must be followed at all times in class.
3. Students must be on time for class.
4. Students must ask to use the bathroom pass before class begins. Once class starts it is only to be used for emergencies.
5. No gum, food, or drinks are allowed in the classroom at any time.
6. Students are expected to bring all course materials necessary for each class.
7. No student will be permitted to go to their locker once they are in class.
8. NO CELL PHONES. If I see your phone I will take it, no questions asked.
9. All students are required to have a general respect for themselves, their peers, me, and my classroom at all times.
C. Course Materials
1. Five subject, tear sheet notebook for English ONLY
2. A folder
3. A blue or black pen ONLY
The Archdiocese of Philadelphia is using an on-line grading system called Grade Connect. This system will allow for teachers to post students grades. Students, along with parents, will be able to view grades and averages throughout the year. It is important that students have the ability and the knowledge required to access and utilize this website. It is suggested that students and parents both get acquainted with the website.